Open Mainframe Project TAC Meeting - January 26, 2023


Meeting held monthly on the second and fourth Thursdays of the month unless otherwise stated. Agenda to be posted at

Timezone Date/Time
America/Los_Angeles Thu 26-Jan-2023 09:00 (09:00 AM)
America/Denver Thu 26-Jan-2023 10:00 (10:00 AM)
America/Chicago Thu 26-Jan-2023 11:00 (11:00 AM)
America/New_York Thu 26-Jan-2023 12:00 (12:00 PM)
Europe/London Thu 26-Jan-2023 17:00 (05:00 PM)
Europe/Amsterdam Thu 26-Jan-2023 18:00 (06:00 PM)
Asia/Shanghai Fri 27-Jan-2023 01:00 (01:00 AM)
Asia/Tokyo Fri 27-Jan-2023 02:00 (02:00 AM)

Or in your local time:

All meetings are listed on the Open Mainframe Project calendar at, subject to the mailing lists you are subscribed to.

Conference call details

Meetings are hosted on the LFX Meeting Management platform. More details on how to register are at

Meeting Recording

A recording of the meeting and the transcript are both available here.

Antitrust Policy Notice

Linux Foundation meetings involve participation by industry competitors, and it is the intention of the Linux Foundation to conduct all of its activities in accordance with applicable antitrust and competition laws. It is therefore extremely important that attendees adhere to meeting agendas, and be aware of, and not participate in, any activities that are prohibited under applicable US state, federal or foreign antitrust and competition laws.

Examples of types of actions that are prohibited at Linux Foundation meetings and in connection with Linux Foundation activities are described in the Linux Foundation Antitrust Policy available at If you have questions about these matters, please contact your company counsel, or if you are a member of the Linux Foundation, feel free to contact Andrew Updegrove of the firm of Gesmer Updegrove LLP, which provides legal counsel to the Linux Foundation.


Voting member rollcall:

  • vacant, ADP ( Platinum Member )
  • Gregory MacKinnon, Broadcom ( Platinum Member )
  • Phil Tully, Citi ( Platinum Member )
  • Joe Bostian, IBM ( Platinum Member )
  • Giancarlo Frix, Rocket Software ( Platinum Member )
  • Nikolay Geuorguiev, SUSE ( Platinum Member )
  • James Caffrey, IBM ( ADE )
  • Sudharsana Srinivasan, IBM ( COBOL Programming Course )
  • Andrea Orth ( GenevaERS )
  • Bob Dahlberg, VCU ( Mentorship )
  • Sean Grady, Rocket Software ( Zowe )

Quorum Achieved.

Other Attendees

  • John Mertic
  • Elizabeth Joseph
  • Catie Mooney
  • Daniel Horak
  • Ingo Adlung
  • Matt Hogstrom
  • Lionel Dyck
  • Hiren Shah


Extracted from meeting-agenda labeled issues and pull requests from openmainframeproject/tac prior to the meeting.

Action Items

  • John M to reach out to Bruce Hayden on z/VM Community Tools and invite to TAC meetings.
  • John M to schedule call for #413
  • John M to


Google Season of Docs/Summer of Code #444

Projects generally haven’t looked at GSoC/GSoD, and don’t have bandwidth to do.

Review Sandbox projects #415

From the previous meeting, TSTerm has issues with ease of adoption ( hard to get people to use the code ). TMZ is easier to get hands-on, but technically inferior. Need to be fixed; a potential idea was to build an electron app to ease usage.

Current TSTerm is stalled on development, but will pick up once brought into Zowe as a dependency. Zowe is planning to integrate this during the next PI as the default terminal emulator for Zowe Desktop. Decided to do next review in June 2023.

Review scheduled in #453

z/VM Community Tools no longer has a leader, and TAC considering moving to Emeritus. Will ask Phil Tully about the status, and if not will consider moving to Emeritus. Lionel Dyck indicates tools are still in development, so the need is there. John M indicated just need a leader. Will ask Len S about getting enangement with VM Workshop. Ingo will also follow up.

Review scheduled in #454

Add in Ambassador requirement to participate in one activity per quarter. #413

Recommendation was to change to once per half year, otherwise everyone was good with the requirements.

TAC approved - motion @Sudharsana-Srinivasan second Greg MacKinnon. Unanimously approved.

Call for Ambassadors and renewal of existing ambassadors #405

Agreed to close new nominations, John M to provide list of applicant in a Google Sheet for the TAC to review and rank.

Discuss Mainframe Project Onboarding Process #399

John M to pull group together to work on seperately.

Project updates

  • COBOL Programming Course - had first monthly call, working on focuses for 2023 and planning Q1 TSC call. Will be bringing in COBOL Check to potentially integrate into the course
  • GenevaERS - began testing MR91 on mainframe, replaces partial C++ component. Tech writer has had a job change so that work is paused; doing knowledge transfer to others.
  • Zowe - PI planning this week. Documentation focus for z/OS native code from relevant squads. Zowe 2.6 to release next week; server code will be able to load configuration from different sources, adding documentation for getting Zowe extensions from package managers such as npm.
  • CBT Tape - working on mirroring to GitHub.
  • Software Discovery Tool - Added updates for latest SUSE, Fedora release. Interest from IBM POWER team using the tool.
  • Zorow - No updates; do know of usage of z/OSMF workflows being used, but they are specialized and not likely to be contributed. Continue to advocate.
  • Linux Distributions WG - Talk at FOSDEM around collaboration across distros.
  • Modernization WG - monthly meetings, focused on getting organized, how to produce documentation, and work together.