Open Mainframe Project TAC Meeting - May 27, 2021
Meeting held monthly on the second Thursday of the month unless otherwise stated. Agenda to be posted at https://github.com/openmainframeproject/tac/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3A%22meeting%22
|America/Los_Angeles||Thu 27-May-2021 10:00 (10:00 AM)|
|America/Denver||Thu 27-May-2021 11:00 (11:00 AM)|
|America/Chicago||Thu 27-May-2021 12:00 (12:00 PM)|
|America/New_York||Thu 27-May-2021 13:00 (01:00 PM)|
|Europe/London||Thu 27-May-2021 18:00 (06:00 PM)|
|Europe/Amsterdam||Thu 27-May-2021 19:00 (07:00 PM)|
|Asia/Shanghai||Fri 28-May-2021 01:00 (01:00 AM)|
|Asia/Tokyo||Fri 28-May-2021 02:00 (02:00 AM)|
Or in your local time:
All meetings are listed on the Open Mainframe Project calendar at https://lists.openmainframeproject.org/calendar, subject to the mailing lists you are subscribed to.
Conference call details
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/290221938
Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +16465588656,,290221938# or +16699006833,,290221938#
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 646 558 8656 or +1 669 900 6833 or +1 855 880 1246 (Toll Free) or +1 877 369 0926 (Toll Free)
Meeting ID: 290 221 938
International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=4ywiZErrEEDIHL6VXNjfZ-PXcfjeWMjs
Voting member rollcall:
- Phil Tully, ADP ( Platinum Member )
- Gregory MacKinnon, Broadcom ( Platinum Member )
- Javier Perez, IBM ( Platinum Member )
- Peter Fandel, Rocket Software ( Platinum Member )
- Mark Post, SUSE ( Platinum Member )
- James Caffrey, IBM ( ADE )
- Sudharsana Srinivasan, IBM ( COBOL Programming Course )
- Bob Dahlberg, VCU ( Mentorship )
- Sean Grady, Rocket Software ( Zowe )
- Mike MacIsaac, ADP
- Joe Winchester, IBM
- Alex Kim, Vicom Infinity
- Dan Horák, Red Hat
- Sandy Peresie
- Lauren Valenti, Broadcom
- Mike Friesenegger, SUSE
- Len Santalucia Vicom Infinity
- Ulrich Weigand, IBM
- David Edelsohn, IBM
- Mark Ackert, Broadcom
Extracted from meeting-agenda labeled issues and pull requests from openmainframeproject/tac prior to the meeting.
- Mainframe Open Education Incubation renewal #198
- POC for LFX Chat/Matrix #191
- Debian s390x support #140
- Project updates ( list at https://tac.openmainframeproject.org/#projects-and-working-groups )
- John M: Javier Perez will take over the TAC voting seat in-place of Enyu Wang
- **Javier **gave a brief introduction of his background and his role
- **Lauren: Mainframe Open Education Project Incubation renewal **presentation
- The project has focused on the agreed to framework for the last year
- The team has presented at many events, have done blogs, and created videos
- The team wants to get new professionals acquainted with the mainframe
- Results of a survey will be ready by May 31st
- A platform for the material must be identified, github, YouTube, etc
- Feedback from the OMP team will help
- Sean G: Is there another step to integrate the OMP?
- Lauren: Yes, we will build that in.
- Bob D: The OMP TAC team can also add their own expertise.
- John M: Asked to vote on extending the incubation period for Open Mainframe Education Project
- The vote unanimous - Mainframe Open Education incubation phase extended for another year
- Sean G:** LFX chat** has a lot of good features, but Slack is required by some organizations, and has a better track record.
- Mike F: will discuss chat options with the Feilong team.
- Alex: Who will manage the chat servers?
- John: The Linux Foundation
- John M: Debian support for s390x
- Debian team is concerned there aren’t enough maintainers, so s390x could be dropped
- Ulrich W: clarified - it’s not so much packages, as there is a need for an overall maintainer - previous developers in this role have moved on - ideally a non-IBMer would be in this role or maybe two people
- David E: A lot of knowledge of the build process, and low-level details of the boot process of s390x are needed.
- Mark P: Canonical should be involved as Ubuntu is based on Debian
- John M: There were some discussions with Canonical - not sure of the results
- Mike M: will reach out to a former s390x colleague who is now at Canonical
- John: What is the timeline for this maintainer?
- Ulrich: The time may have already passed
- Johh/Bob: discussion on whether this is a good role for a mentee. Is there someone who would be a mentor in the Fall cohort?
- Ulrich: I may not be the best person, but I could help.
- Bob D: A definition of the project is needed.
- Len S: Mike M, can you get a name from Canonical who will be a contact?
- Mike: I’ll try
- Dave E: The previous maintainer did not have a main point of contact. Could the OMP take on this role?
- John M and Bob D discussed how this could be moved forward
- David E: I propose that the OMP take on the role of being the point of contact.
- Bob D: Agree this should be an action item
- Ulrich Weigand: I will help
- A starting group will be John, Bob, David and Ulrich
- Around the room on **project status **
- **Mentorship **- Summer Mentorships start Monday (June 1) - 16 Mentees
- **CBT Tape **- Sam Golob: one retiree updating new releases
- **Consolez - **Mike Maclsaac
- Mike Fresengger: Feilong
- Sandy Peresie - GenevaERS
- Sandy Peresie - **Open z/OS **- download systems programmer’s tools - automated tools