Open Mainframe Project TAC Meeting - February 11, 2021


Meeting held monthly on the second Thursday of the month unless otherwise stated. Agenda to be posted at

Timezone Date/Time
America/Los_Angeles Thu 11-Feb-2021 09:00 (09:00 AM)
America/Denver Thu 11-Feb-2021 10:00 (10:00 AM)
America/Chicago Thu 11-Feb-2021 11:00 (11:00 AM)
America/New_York Thu 11-Feb-2021 12:00 (12:00 PM)
Europe/London Thu 11-Feb-2021 17:00 (05:00 PM)
Europe/Amsterdam Thu 11-Feb-2021 18:00 (06:00 PM)
Asia/Shanghai Fri 12-Feb-2021 01:00 (01:00 AM)
Asia/Tokyo Fri 12-Feb-2021 02:00 (02:00 AM)

Or in your local time:


All meetings are listed on the Open Mainframe Project calendar at, subject to the mailing lists you are subscribed to.

Conference call details

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android:

Or iPhone one-tap :

US: +16465588656,,290221938# or +16699006833,,290221938#

Or Telephone:

Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):

US: +1 646 558 8656  or +1 669 900 6833  or +1 855 880 1246 (Toll Free) or +1 877 369 0926 (Toll Free)

Meeting ID: 290 221 938

International numbers available:

Meeting recording


Voting member rollcall:

  • Phil Tully, ADP ( Platinum Member )
  • Gregory MacKinnon, Broadcom ( Platinum Member )
  • Enyu Wang, IBM ( Platinum Member )
  • Peter Fandel, Rocket Software ( Platinum Member )
  • Mark Post, SUSE ( Platinum Member )
  • James Caffrey, IBM ( ADE )
  • Bob Dahlberg, VCU ( Mentorship )
  • Sean Grady ( Zowe )

Quorum Achieved.

Other Attendees

  • Mike Friesenegger
  • Jerry Edgington
  • Sandy Peresie
  • Kip Twitchell
  • Alexander Efremkin
  • Joe Bostian
  • Len Santalucia
  • John Mertic
  • Vincent Terrone
  • David Edelsohn
  • Matt Hogstrom
  • Michael MacIsaac
  • Hiren Shah


Extracted from meeting-agenda labelled issues and pull requests from openmainframeproject/tac prior to the meeting.

  • Feilong incubation renewal #176
  • Demo using Polycephaly in different developer scenarios #149
  • Open z/OS Enrollment WG approval #148
  • Add note on read-only members being automatically added after merged PR. #147
  • Debian s390x support #140
  • TerseDecompress incubation renewal #103
  • Enabling GitHub Actions for OMP Hosted projects #99
  • Project updates ( list at )

Action Items


Everyone is encouraged to contribute to the note taking.

Demo using Polycephaly in different developer scenarios Presenter: Jerry Edgington Helps developers focus on developing in their IDE while the compile/build is handled by Polycephaly interacting with git, jenkins and z/OS Great demo which can be watched on the recording of the TAC meeting

Feilong incubation renewal

  • Feilong is a tool that provides a RESTful API that interacts with IBM z/VM to create infrastructure (VMs, networking and disks)
  • Feilong is an active project with 227 merged pull requests in 2020
  • Focus on 2021 goals for the project. Increasing documentation and community code contributions are two key areas.
  • With Vicom Infinity’s contribution of hardware resources, two second level z/VM environments available for contributors.
  • Started to connect with the Consolez project and will be connecting to the Tessia project where there could be some interesting synergies.
  • Low attendance in December/January but the first meeting in February had a better turnout. Need to focus on other avenues to promote Feilong.
  • Focus on graduating and report back before or by February 2022 Opportunity to seek new interest, users or contributors in future via regional group meetings or industry-wide events like SHARE? (same for other incubation projects) The vote to continue the Feilong incubation was called and approved by the voting members

Open z/OS Enablement Working Group The Open z/OS Enablement Working group, proposed to the TAC in December has Held 5 meetings, Had perhaps 25 people participate Formulated a way of approaching the working group Established the working group repo, email lists, etc. Documented the results of the meeting in a charter readme document The charter can be located at

Next steps for the project include: Continuing to reach out for potential code contributions Begin to focus on issues around control of loaned license and resources Recruit knowledgeable resources to define and build high value functions to reduce overhead for experimentation on z/OS (perhaps joint sponsorship with SHARE) Work with a preliminary provider to supply initial access for experimentation Discussion on Working group: Notes on discussion: Hiren - Should this be an extension of polycephally? Jerry - The build should be from polycephally - but organization should be separate Kip - There should be a cataloging about what you want with regards to license.

Kip asked for coaching points: Licensing will be a big hurdle. Sean - Need to make it simple - simple because not mf experts. There is a need to define the user. Matt- what is the architecture for building the service. Lot’s of different software to be installed. Bob - don’t people already have access to development environments where they work? Kip - The need is for a place for collaboration across different companies. J.Mertic called for a vote on approval of Open z/OS Enablement (OzE) as an official working group and was passed.